Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Lake Time...Family Time


What an awesome holiday weekend to share with the kids, Brian and my extended family! I was reminded throughout the weekend how incredibly important it is to laugh and relax TOGETHER!

Funny moments worthy of noting...


  • I am no longer as young as my uncle and brother think I am. After my first "easy ride" around the lake, I decided that it was enough. I could still bend over, stand-up and raise my arms. This was a good time to "call it a day." However, when invited by my uncle to go on a relaxing ride at the end of the day, I found myself ready to give it another go. I was lured by phrases like "we will just be taking a tour of the lake;" "it will be an easy ride since the adults in the boat want to use this time to talk;" and "it will be a relaxing time for you, Trent and (cousin) Katie." Clearly, I lost my mind and actually believed that it would be all this and more. Visions of my sun bathed, size 4 body drifted through my head as I climbed onto the inflatable tub of death. I can honestly say that I don't think I have screamed so loud, laughed so hard and suffered with such joy in a long, long time! However, being the "more mature" woman that I am, I am still having a hard time using my arms for anything more than to fill out the sleeves in my shirt.

  • My children bring me joy...both when they are awake and when they are asleep. I am not sure when the mind shift occurred over the past month, I began to look at my beautiful children as beings sent to suck the life out of me...one load of laundry at a time! This past weekend, I was reminded that the time I have with them really is a joy. There was still food to prepare (but far less to do as my mom is a rockstar!) and parenting that needed to be done. However, I realized that these "motherly duties" were once again a gift that I can give to my kids. It isn't an obligation that I have to view as such an awful, life-draining experience. Attitude truly is EVERYTHING. And, I am grateful that God gave me a few much-needed moments to realize that mine needed an overhaul!


  • My parents really do get wiser as I get older. I have a sign in my room that says



At the point a woman realizes that her mother really is
brillant, she has a
daughter who thinks she isn't.



Although, I am getting progressively out-of-style and dumber with each passing year as my children relentlessly march on towards their teenage years; the time I share with my parents helps to balance out the injustice their opinions can make me feel. They can share the memories of "You were just like Emma and...." or "See? You made it. They will also." And, the most treasured words to hear, "You are a great mom and have terrific children, Tobi. Hang in there!"


There is much more to share and photos that are sure to come. But for now, I will head upstairs to enjoy a much needed bath and good night sleep. I am continually amazed how vacation can leave me so fulfilled and exhausted at the same time!

For Financial Donations

Brian & Tobi

Brian & Tobi