Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July and the BIG Race







We started our morning, today, with the Park Rapids 5K. When I say "we," I mean my mom, sister, Isaac, Brian and me. Hannah and Jayden stayed with their Uncle Ian to await the Kids Run (1K) following the 5K/10K. What an awesome way to start our day!

Prior to the race, we had each determined exactly how we were going to tackle the race. My mom and sister determined that they would bring up the "rear" by walking; Brian and Isaac would run/walk with the pace of Isaac's choosing (with Brian's encouragement); and I would "run." Uncle Ian, Hannah and Jay would cheer us on at the Finish Line. The tasks were assigned and we hit the road with the sound of the starter's pistol.

Now, it could have just been the early hour or lack of caffeine or just a heightened sense of patriotism (and gratitude that Brian is home and with us unlike so many previous years), but I found myself highly moved and close to tears throughout the race. It hit me that this race was so much like life...so much like my Christian journey of faith.

First, I was running this race with my family. We each were tackling it a different way and in our own style...but, we were there together. Isn't that exactly how it should be in life?! Each person should and will use the talents and abilities that they are given to embrace life and move through it the best way that they know how.

Next, I was moved by watching how Brian encouraged Isaac to keep pushing. Even after he threw up (minor detail, really), Brian kept pushing Isaac to do his absolutely best. And, Isaac beamed...I mean beamed at the finish line with pride and excitement at this awesome task that he accomplished. The first words out of his mouth were: "I have to call someone and brag about this!" Now, I don't believe for a minute that we are supposed to get to the finish line of life and brag about our accomplishments to God. However, I do want to "look back" and feel good about how I finished the race...that I went through this life with honor, faith, dignity and love. I also want to be that person that encourages others to keep pushing...love others where they are at and encourage them to keep moving forward.

The variety of people throughout the race was awesome for a people observer like myself. I love looking at the unique canvas that God has created. There were tall, short, skinny, chunky, young, old, and so many shades of skin color. It was a reminder to me that we are all so unique and so different. Isn't it awesome that we are all different?! My book club last week was discussing how we are supposed to be unique...because fitting into the mold doesn't show God's unique calling that He has given to each of us. Today was truly a reminder of how unique we are!

Lastly, I was moved by the crowd (especially my own kiddos) as they cheered the runners towards the finish line. It is that great "cloud of witnesses" that is cheering me onward through my daily adventures. Unlike today's race, I am in no hurry to finish my life journey. However, I am so very grateful to have had men and women in my life like my grandparents, aunt and friends who are cheering me on through both the good days and bad days of life.

My book club is reading, "A Fresh Brewed Life," by Nicole Johnson. The essence of the book is to live life in the moment...and thank God for each and every day. With that book and today's race in mind, I am sharing my moment of thanksgiving and striving to live fully in this moment.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. -- Hebrews 12:1-2

For Financial Donations

Brian & Tobi

Brian & Tobi