Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I missed the memo...

I realize that in this modern day of e-mails, texts and facebook, we don't use "memos" in the traditional sense.  In a nostalgic way, I miss having that piece of paper waiting for me on my desk or in my box.  It was a tangible reminder of a change of plans or updated information.  Over the past week, I have found myself wishing that "life" had given me a few memos.  I am feeling like I must have missed a class, public announcement or e-mail to make me better equipped for the day to day life of Tobi.

To name just a few examples:
  • I must have missed the memo...that the popular fashions currently in stores are designed for pencil-thin women who have not been blessed with the curves that pregnancy and a slowing metabolism of my 30s.  Who thought it would be flattering for me to wear a sweater that stretches to the middle of my thighs?  Do I really need an outfit that can hug my tummy, butt and thighs and show them off even more?  Furthermore, didn't the 80's have enough "fashion-fun" the first time around?  I don't remember looking back at school pictures from that era and thinking, "Wow.  I sure wish that I could have that outfit back."  Nay-nay, my friend. 
  • I must have missed the memo...that said life doesn't have to be made up of simply my "to-do" list and my "to-done" accomplishments.  I have come to realize that the better part of my last 10 years have been spent filling up every free moment with "busy work."  I don't know how to just "sit" and do nothing.  I can't even watch t.v. without folding clothes or cutting out coupons or drilling my poor husband with questions.  Although there is something to be said for multi-tasking, I think I may have taken it to the extreme.  My body and soul are weary.  It is time to learn to just "sit."
  • I must have missed the memo...that said there is a fundraiser for EVERY (and I mean EVERY) activity that our children decide to get involved with.  I am fairly sure that we will run out of friends before we run out of items and services to sell. 
  • I must have missed the memo...that said that there is never enough time to spend with friends and family.  Last weekend, the kids and I headed back to visit family and friends in Iowa.  We hadn't been back since Easter, and we were long overdue.  As I soaked up the love and attention of our family and friends, I was reminded of the song lyrics, "Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver and the other gold."  I am so very blessed to have such loving parents, siblings and friends.  I want more time to share with all of them.  I know that I am a better person when I make the time to share with them.
  • I must have missed the memo...that said meals should have all of the food groups present.  With our new and more chaotic schedule, eggo waffles are considered dinner.  Mac-n-cheese is suitable for breakfast.  And, my favorite, pizza is an excellent post-school snack.  The old days of a meat, veggie, starch and dairy is fading away.  My only solace is that we are still trying to eat at home as a family.  However, I sense a memo is being written...
  • I must have missed the memo...that said life is still NOT fair.  Although my children say it with regularity, I guess I thought that life might become more "fair" as I got older.  However, I have been reminded with the arrival of union reps to Brian's distribution center two weeks ago, that life is seriously not fair.  People cheat.  People lie.  And, given the opportunity, there are people who will take advantage of the kindness of others.  With that in mind, I continue to try and be the person that God has called me to be...and, I take comfort that God is fair and just.  God will sort out the details...and, I will have faith that mean people will get theirs!  (Is that Christ-like?!?)
I think that the best news is that the internet is filled with experts that are more than willing to fill me in on everything from modifying fashions to fit my body shape to how to have a quick meal ready that will have all the food groups.  And, I am blessed with friends who will send me e-mail alerts on how to better my home with easy fix-it remedies from removing stains to seasoning my chili.  I plan to add that to my list of "to-dos" to research many of these areas in the near future.  However, until then, I am glad to know that I am still learning and adapting to life.  It is a sign that I am still growing, learning and thriving...and, that I am still very human.

For Financial Donations

Brian & Tobi

Brian & Tobi